Update Processes and Technology
The moment a manufacturing company has reviewed and organized their present workflow, it can start to identify the areas wherein processes/technology need to be updated or changed. Processes that have been used for quite some time have been covered with temporary solutions by adding new equipment and changing production methods.
- Automation is a powerful way to increase efficiency and reduce errors.
- New software solutions help by means of inventory scheduling and monitoring workflow.
- Equipment improvements can enhance quality, speed, and production.
In finding new equipment and technology, it is important to consider the total ownership cost and how it will affect the bottom line. Though the initial investment has a high price it is worthwhile since this is lower than the replacement of technology/process and it solves issues like minimizing scrap and clearing a production bottleneck.
Follow Scheduled Maintenance
When machinery and equipment are not maintained on a regular basis, production slows down. The downtime costs due to maintenance is a lot lower than the costs due to worn out/broken equipment. Companies can schedule their maintenance. These should be followed since breakage happens at the worst time.
All operators must undergo training in troubleshooting procedures and regular maintenance.
- Preventive maintenance should be scheduled at regular intervals.
- They should determine the best time to schedule maintenance with the help of information from the floor and workflow processes.
- Maintenance should be right on schedule.
Preventive maintenance makes sure that equipment runs smoothly with no unforeseen downtime or work interruption.
Educate and Train Employees
Learning and training is a continuous process, especially when it comes to the workplace. Training is mandatory in several industries like safety training for personnel that use safety gear. People need to undergo training when there are new equipment and technology. Educating employees is also an effective way to make them stay longer in a company. It takes time for new employees to be proficient, which slows down production.
Once new equipment is installed, all operators need to go through training.
- Companies should keep accurate training records and schedule refreshers when necessary.
- They can provide educational opportunities to employees who like to develop new skills.
Education and training should not be limited to equipment. A manufacturing facility will operate more smoothly if its employees understand their policies when it comes to proper communication and harassment in the workplace.
Organize the Workplace
More time is saved with less movement and clutter.
- Movement should be minimized to maximize task efficiency.
- They should create the layout of materials and tools for the job/process.
- Unnecessary/unused materials and tools should be removed from the workplace.
- Storage should be organized to minimize time in looking for documents, materials and equipment.
- To maximize efficiency, they should lay out the manufacturing floor.
- Travel time and distance should be reduced whenever and wherever possible. When products have to be moved to the following step in the process, they should find the shortest distance, fastest time, and the safest way to do it. They can also find a software solution to improve scheduling.
Unnecessary movement in the workplace signifies a poorly organized company. This can cost them a lot in terms of production time. They can consider using techniques like Kanban (just in time production) to minimize delays and boost efficiency.